A big thank you to Marion, aka ‘Little Miss Traveller‘ , for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award. It’s a very kind thought, and it’s good to know that someone enjoys reading my rather random posts!
Marion’s blog ‘Love Travelling‘ is one of the very few to retain a place on my list of followed sites. Widely travelled, and able to draw you into the page and make you feel like you’re there at the destination and ‘in the moment’. Anyone interested in exploring the world should go take a look…
Part 1 – The Rules :
- Thank the person who nominated you for the award and include a link to their blog
- Nominate blogs that you have recently discovered or follow regularly that you feel deserve recognition
- Include 7 facts about yourself
- Include the logo of the award in your response
Part 2 – Nominations:
I can appreciate that awards, and responding to them, are not everyone’s cup of tea. We also have Christmas approaching, which makes so many demands on our time. So my nominees shouldn’t feel obliged or rushed to take part. But if you feel the urge to join in (maybe in the New Year?), it would be great to hear about you and the blogs you in turn find interesting!
My own nominations, in no particular order:
bluebalu: Living in Hong Kong. I’ve been following bluebalu’s blog for several months now, originally as a part of the preparation for our recent Hong Kong trip. An ex-pat living and working in Hong Kong, her blog covers every aspect of the island – the places you should visit, reviews of places to eat, and the local way of life. Not just in HK, but all around Asia. Who needs a guide book when you have such a friendly and knowledgeable local resident to tell you all about it?
My Hong Kong Husband. While many of the Hong Kong blogs I’ve looked at have vanished from my attentions, Paulina’s blog has staying power because it’s so much more than a list of tourist venues. In the words of this Polish girl married to a HongKonger, it’s about “AMWF, lifestyle, culture, food, Asian fashion and a little bit of Cantonese”. Fascinating to read.
Lamputts on Land. A long-time favourite. Cathy’s blog is not so much a travel guide, more a record of daily experiences through some interesting lifestyle choices. After living on a boat, they moved to living in a caravan, and then to an overseas job opportunity in Abu Dhabi. I expect all of us wish we had the courage to grasp chances and change our lives like that!
Part 3 – 7 facts about me:
- I’ve been in the IT industry for too many years now, and I’m a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator. Even my sister calls me a Geek. Is there any hope?
- I wrote my first personal website from scratch back in 1999, with no clear idea of what I was going to do with it. Then I posted some holiday pictures and a few comments about the resort. The rest, as they say, is history. WordPress has made it so much easier since then.
- I’m married with two children, both of whom are now in their final years at university.
- Perhaps because of the previous statement, my wife and I now suddenly find ourselves with the time and the money to start exploring the world again as a couple. (joking – two wonderful kids, who have been places and seen things with us – I hope it inspires their own travels)
- When we’re at home, there’s a menagerie to look after: two greyhounds, five chickens (free eggs), a rabbit and a Yemen chameleon. Maybe another blog in the making?
- At the start of 2014 I was diagnosed with and successfully treated for Leukaemia. It’s made me realise how fragile and precious life is, and how important it is to get out there and see the world because you only have one chance at your ‘bucket list’.
- Favourite food: Italian, without any doubt. Pizza / pasta and a bottle of red wine is the way to my heart. But to actually go and enjoy it in Rome is extra special!
So there we are – the blogs I like and the things that make me tick. Thanks again Marion for nominating me, and I look forward to reading everyone’s replies.